Pattern for the Blue Heart

Thank you for your comments on my blue Heart design. And to be asked for the pattern is another compliment indeed. So, I am drawing up a pattern here for anyone who is interested, esp Donna. But I must warn you that this is the first time that I am putting up a visual pattern, drawn on a PC. Please excuse me if there are parts that may not come out right. I will try to clarify any points that you are not sure of.



Each daisy is made up of five rings with this count (3-4-4-3), and the next ring is (3+4-4-3) joined to the last picot of the previous ring.
The outline of the heart is made up of chains, shuttle-joined to the picots on the rings that are pointing outwards.
The numbers along the chains indicate the number of picots in the chain seperated by two ds and each chain section starts with one ds, i.e. 7 means (1-2-2-2-2-2-2-1). This count is repeated for the other half of the heart.

And, for the joining of the daisies, you may have to refer to tha actual photo, because I couldn't draw the daisies that well to show where they join to each other.

11 October, 06

Some clarification about the pattern above.
1. The heart is made in two rounds, Rnd 1 is making all the daisies and Rnd 2 is making the chains around it.
2. To make using the split ring method, start with the daisy in the middle, work up and around in clockwise direction, joining the daisies as you go. the final daisy is joined to the second daisy made.
3. To make the chain, join the thread to the shared picot (between two rings) in the top middle daisy, and work round it clockwise.

I hope this is clearer now.



Comments

  1. Thank you so much for the pattern Jon! I have been trying to work it out on my own today. Doing okay, but now I think this will help me do it right!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pattern, Jon! A first for the visual pattern -- ah, the new experiences this challenge brings us. With that many picots on the outside, your method of summarizing it by numbers of picots on each chain segment works well. I'd like to know where you started, when making it all at once with split rings. Is it easiest to do the center daisy first or last? Seems just from contemplating it for a second that it would be easiest to do it first, climbing out to the top daisy ... but I can't quite picture it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Laura and Donna B. Working with split rings, I started with the middle daisy and worked up to the next one. The I move right and worked clockwise to complete. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jon. Thanks for the pattern and all the help. I am almost finished with one that I started yesterday and ready to start the chains. I want to make another one with one color and split rings. Operating under the assumption that there are no stupid questions, how do I make split rings if I am only working with one shuttle making rings? Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jon,
    Thank you so much for sharing your pattern.
    I have my first pattern posted on my Guilds website at -
    www.shuttlebirds.com - on the Patterns page. I was so scared that it wouldn't be accepted well, but it was and is.
    I understand trying to write it out and diagraming it out (my first drawing isn't so good), but I did it, and now I'm glad I did.
    So, Jon, THANK YOU!!!! for sharing a small part of yourself.
    Hugs,
    CyameseTats aka Lynda - in Spokane, WA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it